2022 Sacramental Dates
Our Parish Sacramental Program is all about creating opportunities for our young parishioners to encounter Jesus and His Holy Spirit through the sacraments; to find their home in the Catholic Church; and to thrive in faith and to joyfully live out their call as missionary disciples of Jesus!
The purpose of our Parish Sacramental Program isn’t about fulfilling ‘requirements’ for enrolment in a Catholic school, or just fulfilling a ‘rite of passage’ etc.
So, faithful to our parish purpose and OUR VISION - while at the same time being mindful that families in our exponentially growing parish are busier than ever – in recent years we have implemented a process for sacramental preparation in our parish.
THERE ARE 3 FOUNDATIONS TO THIS PROCESS:
1) Rather than weekly ‘discipleship groups’ that candidates (accompanied by an adult family member) have in the past been required to attend over a 4–6 week period, families are now sent, via email each week over a 4-6 week period, a link to a YouTube ‘discipleship group’ workshop that they can watch whenever it is suitable to them.
Families are asked to find a time/day each week (that suits their schedule) when the candidate can sit down with an adult family member to watch/listen to the YouTube that will lead them through the workshop (directing them to different pages or activities in their workbook) and to then complete a reflection sheet (based on what has been shared/learnt in the YouTube) that the candidate will be required to complete.
2) Rather than the focus on weekly ‘workshops’ we want to reclaim the weekend celebration of the Mass as the heart of the preparation program for all the sacraments. All those presenting children for the sacraments are asked to see attendance and participation at Mass a priority, every weekend, whether it is specified in the sacramental program or not. (During the weeks of the program some candidates will also be involved in weekend Mass parish ministries)
3) While catechists, parish clergy, teachers and members of the parish sacramental team will support our parish sacramental programs, parents and families will be reminded throughout the program that they are the most important “teachers” for their children preparing for these sacraments.
WE ARE PLEASED TO PUBLISH OUR 2022 SACRAMENTAL CALENDAR
The 2022 Sacramental Calendar can be downloaded HERE
There are 3 key changes to our 2022 parish celebrations of First Reconciliation, First Holy Communion (Eucharist) and Confirmation:
1) 1st Reconciliation and 1st Holy Communion will now be a combined program of 6 weeks. So rather than families committing to one program for 1st Reconciliation and then another program for 1st Holy Communion, candidates will prepare for both Sacraments at the same time. The focus of this combined program is “From Mass to Mission” that draws upon the purpose statement of our parish “to form disciples who joyfully live out the mission of Jesus Christ”.
(If a child has already made their 1st Reconciliation, and was just wanting to receive their 1st Holy Communion, they are still required to complete the 6-week program)
2) To highlight the link between a candidate’s 1st Holy Communion and the ‘obligation’ and ‘invitation’ to receive Holy Communion each week as part of our weekend celebrations of the Mass, our 1st Holy Communion candidates will receive their 1st Holy Communion not at large ‘private Masses’ (in a Hall) only attended by their immediate family and guests, but candidates will receive their 1st Holy Communion in smaller groups at one of our ‘parish weekend Masses’ (celebrated in our church building at Oran Park) during the month of June.
3) As we have done in recent years, the celebration of 1st Reconciliation for those candidates who attend St Justin’s Primary School or St Gregory’s College Junior School will occur during school time. All other candidates will have the opportunity to receive their 1st Reconciliation at sessions held in the afternoon/evening of the same week. Once again, the focus of the parish community will be reflected via ‘Sending Forth’ rituals that will take place at all parish weekend Masses prior to these 1st Reconciliation ceremonies.
PREREQUISITES FOR SACRAMENTAL PREPARATION
- In our parish, baptised children in Year 3 and above, can make their First Reconciliation and First Holy Communion, and children in Year 6 and above, who have made their First Holy Communion, can receive Confirmation. However, no child is obliged to make a sacrament simply because of the year group they are in, or their class. Only those who participate in parish life and who know they will be able to prioritise the time for their child to prepare for the sacraments in 2022 should enrol. We have many children who wait till a later age to receive sacraments.
- It is essential, if you want your child/ren to receive any of the sacraments of initiation, that you attend the Parent Information Session for the relevant sacrament.
- If a candidate was not baptised at St Mary MacKillop Parish, a copy of their baptism certificate must be brough to the Parent Information Session.
RITE OF CHRISTIAN INITIATION OF CHILDREN FOR CHILDREN WHO ARE NOT BAPTISED CATHOLIC
Children who are not baptised or have been baptised in a Christian church other than Catholic, are still able to make their First Reconciliation and/or First Holy Communion, by taking part in a 4-week preparation process – prior to the start of the 1st Reconciliation/1st Holy Communion program.
This preparation process, sometimes called the Rite of Christian Initiation of Children (RCIC) will be an opportunity for these children supported by their adult family members to ‘meet in small groups’ before or after a weekend Mass, to learn more about what it means to be a Catholic-Christian and to prepare for their Baptism (or for those already baptised in another Christian church, their ‘Reception into the Catholic Church’).
Those interested in being a part of RCIC are asked to send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and to attend the RCIC INFORMATION SESSION that will be held on the afternoon/evening of Wednesday 9 February 2022.
ONLINE ENROLMENT FORMS
Rather than ‘paper forms’ online Enrolment forms for the 2022 Sacraments will be made available here:
1st Reconciliation & 1st Holy Communion
Online Enrolment form available from Monday 28 February 2022
The online enrolment form must be submitted no later than 5pm on Monday 14 March 2022
Online Enrolment form available from Monday 18 July 2022
Enrolments not open yet
The online enrolment form must be submitted no later than 5pm on Monday 1 August 2022
For more information on our sacramental program contact email@example.com